Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Kindle calls

I'm such a bad blogger!

A couple weeks ago, I finally decided to read Harry Potter. I guess the ads for Deathly Hollows made me remember it? I tried, when they first came out, but I didn't want to read kids' books at the time. If you remember that far back (oh god I'm old), A Game of Thrones had come out the year after the first HP book, and I was really in love with dark gritty fantasy then. If you've read them both (or even seen the movies/series) you will understand what polar opposites they are. But people kept telling me HP gets better as he gets older, so I settled down and started slogging through the series.

I'd gotten to the point where they weren't so bad when I went camping with Mel. When I came back I reclaimed the house, then got sucked back into them over the weekend. I read 4 on Saturday, 5 and 6 on Sunday, and polished off the last one yesterday. They really are pretty good! I am kind of jealous of the kids who got to grow up reading them.

Then I got up this morning and half of Facebook was showing off their copies of A Dance With Dragons, so I had to get that for the Kindle immediately. Honestly I'd given up on that bastard GRRM ever finishing DWD, much less the series. It took him six years to write it, and he kept writing other crap I don't care about in the meantime and going to cons and blogging about sports and I got immensely frustrated with him. Honestly, I'm pretty sure he delayed the damn thing til AGOT finished on HBO - which is no doubt a shrewd business move and all but SIX YEARS? Ridiculous.

Other media: Torchwood USA looks even goofier than Torchwood UK was but I'm willing to forgive a lot to see Jack and Gwen again. True Blood continues to make me howl with laughter. In two weeks we get new Dresden Files!

Other stuff: Dixie's rehab is still going uneventfully. The banty managed to hatch out three (full size) chicks so far. She took off to set on infertile eggs right before the roosters started crowing and doin' their thing so I shoved some fertile eggs from the big hens in there with her. At least one of the chicks has feathered feet - SO CUTE. They're not moving around yet, but better pics will come.

I am really dreading cleaning out the stinkbomb eggs from her nest.

Anyway. I have now flung myself into DWD. See you in a couple of days.

13 comments:

  1. Have you seen the newest Torchwood preview? I was watching a movie recently and it was part of the previews. I can't deny being excited about it though I'm still mad they killed of Ianto!

    On a side note... as someone who grew up reading the Harry Potter series I can't say I'm excited about the movies. Just not quite the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it wrong that I check your blog on a semi regular basis but I don't think I've ever commented execpt to say I too am hanging out for Ghost Story. I was so angry with Butcher when he killed Dresden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah - don't know how I managed to do that.

    It's always nice to find someone else that likes the same books as you do, and I have to say I haven't read Game of Thrones, so seeing someone else saying it is good here means I'm more motivated to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was one of the kids privileged enough to grow up reading Harry Potter. I love those books and agree that they progressively get better and better:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Kindle too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The BF wants to buy me a Kindle because he says we're running out of room to store all the books I've read. There's just something about turning the pages of a book and caressing the cover that keeps me from getting that Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG- I thought he was going to die before I got to read A Dance with Dragons, and that's after the last book was chock full of my LEAST FAVORITES CHARACTERS EVER! Gah, so annoying.

    But I can't wait to read about Dany and Arya again :)

    I think I read Harry Potter and GRRM side by side. Harry Potter was a LOT easier to explain to my husband (though I though the last book was a total let-down and I'm shocked they made two movies out of it).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of Game Of Thrones until the HBO series came out and now I am soooo hooked.

    I should probably look into a Kindle. I am so over the stacks of books. These last couple of years I have not read as much as I used to and finally realized why...My arm is not long enough anymore. LOL

    Seriously...there is just something soooo wrong about needing contacts to see farther than the end of your nose and yet needing reading glasses to see up close now. I just thought they were making the print impossibly small these days.

    Congrats on the babies. Typical Banty...Gonna go broody, rooster or no rooster. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay, time's up. more blog posts now, please.

    >g<

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, just had to say that a Game of Thrones is the best series ever! and if I hadn't followed the link on Eventing a GoGo I never would have realized that he FINALLY came out with the last book because I had completely given up hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to know I'm not the only one tapdancing around and dying for the new Dresden Files to come out. Talk about a cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. i am SOOOO addicted to HP. I'm re-reading the series for the 2nd time. haven't seen the last 2 movies yet, I'm waiting till i finish the books again first!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment!