Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sightseeing: Fort Churchill NV

I think it's pretty evident that I live my life in the hopes that I'll only regret things I've done, not regret the things I didn't do. To further that goal, I'm going to try to do the day-trip rides I haven't gotten around to yet. First up: Fort Churchill. It's a Pony Express fort with cool ruins and it's on the river so there are Proper Huge Trees.

Back in January, pre-clipping, I rode "the gym" near Ft Churchill with C and S. You park across the road from the fort and there's a big network of nice hilly trails to trot up and down. It's a good workout, but it looks exactly like the rest of Nevada and there's not much water. Not what I wanted today.

I loaded up some lunch, a horse, and a dog, and we went to the actual park at the fort. Dixie was skeptical.
Untitled

Look at all these trees!
Untitled

They're just starting to get haloes of chartreuse. In a week they'll be properly springlike.
Untitled

Cersei approved of the river.
Untitled

OMG HUMANS! Two ladies (the only other people I saw all day) were coming down the hill to the right and Dixie could not take her eyes off them.
Untitled

We just plonked around for about two hours total. We rode on all the no-horses trails, circled back to the trailer and I ate lunch, then rode up and down the river. Cersei had The Best Day Of Her Entire Life! (I think every day for her is TBDOHEL, but today was bester than usual.) Dixie was appalled that we were totally alone but she did everything I asked - go slow, go fast, step over branches, walk in the river, etc.

On the way out I got a couple pics of the historic stuff, but I didn't have a lot of luck taking pictures from horseback.

The blacksmith's shop (repurposed as the tool shop, but with the original building/walkway).
Untitled

It was a beautiful day. Adobe fort buildings in the distance:
Untitled

Buildings:
Untitled

The "gym" is in the hills behind the buildings.
Untitled

The cemetery. It's got a proper fence around it to keep the spirits in!
Graveyard

And I saw mustangs! They were on 95 between Silver Springs and Fallon - a little band of about 8, napping. Three sleeping standing up on guard duty, and the rest curled up like dogs snoozing in the sun. When I came back, the band had gone and one was grazing in about the same place.

When I got home, the cats went into full-on Stranger Danger Attack Cat Mode about the strange new dog I brought with me. Apparently Cersei didn't smell right anymore. The kitten GROWLED at her and Banders was pretty close to crackninja-ing her.

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Aarene said:

      Now, I am totally jealous. Look at that sky! Look at that footing! Ahhhhh.

      But the "trees"? Not so impressive. >g<

      Mustangs: I always imagined I would see mustangs running wild and free across the sagebrush plains. Imagine my disappointment when I saw my first band of mustangs: dozing hip-cocked by a cattle tank, and swishing at flies like a bunch of homebred geldings!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LS said:

      Growling crackninja-ing kittens? Psh, who needs guard dogs.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita said:

      What a gorgeous day - and I love your attitude about 'doing things'. Isn't it funny how a horse very used to humans can develop that kind of interest when they spot strangers a long ways away? It does look like a perfect dog day!
      Bionic Cowgirl

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merri said:

      It's a beautiful place! I did an endurance ride here once. (Uh... the Fort Churchill ride? Can't remember.) Day 1 started out crossing that stream, which at the time was a river, half full of ice!
      - The Equestrian Vagabond

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LC said:
      Thanks for the photos. I've been there in the summer when the grass is long and the trees are very green and leafy. It was very pretty--such a contrast to the desert all around. Interesting to see it in springtime--much barer. Have you been to the river canyon just down the road. I thought that was awesome.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenj said:

      Lovely day, despite the ninja cats!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHP said:
      That looks a lot of fun. It's great to just pack up and go have an adventure.

      Do you find that Dixie stares all the more when only the upper halves of hikers can be seen, like when they're part-hidden by a rise in the ground?

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment!