Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Bread Mania

For some reason, a lot of people at my barn have started feeding their horses stale bread. I don't mean "feeding" as in "treating," either; I mean these people are feeding multiple bags of stale wonder bread to their horses. It's pretty surreal. I keep noticing pickups half-full of bags of bread.

It's all Roger's fault (or Roger's brilliant idea, depending on what you think of bread). He swears he's been feeding his horses bread for years. It started with Roger, then spread to the big redneck family. I think the barn mgr is dabbling in bread, and I know the woman who works for Animal Control feeds bread. Memphis has a Wonder Bread factory, so we have a lot of Wonder Bread outlet stores where they sell almost-expired bread. I think they're getting the expired bread from the outlet stores.

I am not at all sure that bread is a good horse feed. It sounds like a good recipe for choke to me. It also sounds like one of those things you'd read about in an article about seized horses - "27 horses stood in filthy pens, with no water and no hay. They appeared to be clinging to life by eating stale white bread."

My barn is a weird place.

2 comments:

  1. This hurt my brain so badly that I had to share it with my barn's message board. Let me know if you'd like the link.

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'd love to see what your fellow boarders have to say!

    My life is definitely surreal.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment!