Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A fearless and searching inventory

I was going to trim Poppy today, but he'd been standing in the mud all day and ... well, I wussed out. Stuck him in a stall to dry out overnight and started packing a little of my tack.

I've had horses for a year and a half. Somehow I've accumulated eight bits, four bridles, five sets of reins, two saddles (down from four a couple weeks ago), three saddle blankets, one draft-sized turnout blanket (came with Poppy), five halters, three 50 gallon feed bins, four hoses totaling about 135', three sawhorses, two saddle racks, two blanket racks, a mini-fridge, countless brushes and combs and patent medicines and first aid stuff... Sigh.

On top of the equine junk, I have a bunch of tools too. A nice 6' fiberglass ladder, cheap skill saw, hammer, tape, square, pry bar, screwdrivers, pliers, clamps, corded drill, cordless drill, 75' of extension cords, nails, screws, bolts, hinges, latches, wire, rope, etc.

I got the hoses and spare ropes packed in an empty grain bin, and the headgear (bridles, spare halters, reins, bits) packed in a tupperware tub. I sold two saddles in the last week and I'm giving the fridge to a friend. (That's just the barn fridge, I have another minifridge in storage.) I'll start hauling stuff to my dad's barn this weekend. He doesn't mind keeping my junk out of the weather til I get settled again.

I really don't know what to do with the draft sized turnout blanket. It's not something I'll ever need to use on Poppy, but it's not going to fit any other horse at the barn. Well, there's a Belgian there now too, but his owner is completely fucking insane and I'm not going to give her the blanket. I might just throw it away, much as it pains me. It may be apparent that I'm a wee tiny bit of a packrat :O

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!